Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion ?

  • Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.

    Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?

    Thanks,

    Paul
  • 4.0.2 didn't work, so I am pretty sure 3.2.6 won't, either.

    I had to get 4.1.

    N.

    On Jul 21, 2011, at 14:36 , Paul Russell wrote:

    > Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >
    > Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    > Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    > Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    > http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<nheger...>
    >
    > This email sent to <nheger...>
  • On Jul 21, 2011, at 9:36, Paul Russell wrote:

    > Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >
    > Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    I haven't tried, but several people on this list have reported that Xcode 3.2.6 works on Lion. However you cannot install it on Lion, so you should have it installed on a 10.5 partition or something like that. I suggest you search the archives of this list. As for PPC, that's completely out of the picture on Lion.

    Christiaan
  • 3.2.6 works just fine.

    I assume the logic is, that there IS an Update for Xc 4.x, whereas there is no update for 3.x

    Next week I'll try to run Xc2 ;)

    Alex

    Am 21.07.2011 um 09:36 schrieb Paul Russell:

    > Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >
    > Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    > Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    > Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    > http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<below...>
    >
    > This email sent to <below...>
  • On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:35, Alexander von Below wrote:

    > 3.2.6 works just fine.
    >
    > I assume the logic is, that there IS an Update for Xc 4.x, whereas there is no update for 3.x
    >
    > Next week I'll try to run Xc2 ;)
    >
    > Alex
    >

    I don't know what you say here. There was an update for 3.x, it's called 3.2.6. So are you saying that there is no update *for Lion*? Or are you saying that there *will* be no update for 3.x?

    The real question really is whether one *can* install 3.2.6 on Lion, using the Install Xcode.app for 3.2.6 (that many already have on disk somewhere). Before Lion came out officially some here said it couldn't, so can anyone confirm this now that the Lion is out of the cage?

    Christiaan

    > Am 21.07.2011 um 09:36 schrieb Paul Russell:
    >
    >> Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >>
    >> Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Paul
  • No, you can not _install_ Xc 3, but you can use (or move) an existing installation.

    And my reasoning was: 3.2.6 is the last of its kind, there won't be any future updates. People with legacy projects depend on it. Nobody depends on Xc 4.0.2

    Alex

    Von meinem iPhone gesendet

    Am 21.07.2011 um 13:07 schrieb Christiaan Hofman <cmhofman...>:

    >
    > On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:35, Alexander von Below wrote:
    >
    >> 3.2.6 works just fine.
    >>
    >> I assume the logic is, that there IS an Update for Xc 4.x, whereas there is no update for 3.x
    >>
    >> Next week I'll try to run Xc2 ;)
    >>
    >> Alex
    >>
    >
    > I don't know what you say here. There was an update for 3.x, it's called 3.2.6. So are you saying that there is no update *for Lion*? Or are you saying that there *will* be no update for 3.x?
    >
    > The real question really is whether one *can* install 3.2.6 on Lion, using the Install Xcode.app for 3.2.6 (that many already have on disk somewhere). Before Lion came out officially some here said it couldn't, so can anyone confirm this now that the Lion is out of the cage?
    >
    > Christiaan
    >
    >> Am 21.07.2011 um 09:36 schrieb Paul Russell:
    >>
    >>> Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >>>
    >>> Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >
  • On Jul 21, 2011, at 14:02, Alexander von Below wrote:

    > No, you can not _install_ Xc 3, but you can use (or move) an existing installation.
    >

    I'd like to know what is the easiest way to keep my Xcode 3.2.6 when upgrading my computer for Lion. Does the Lion installation leave the developer folder in place, or should I first move it away to keep it, perhaps archived?

    > And my reasoning was: 3.2.6 is the last of its kind, there won't be any future updates.

    That's the difference between present tense and future tense.

    > People with legacy projects depend on it.

    Also (some) developers, like me, who want their apps to be backward compatible to 10.5 or earlier.

    > Nobody depends on Xc 4.0.2
    >

    Christiaan

    >
    > Alex
    >
    > Von meinem iPhone gesendet
    >
    > Am 21.07.2011 um 13:07 schrieb Christiaan Hofman <cmhofman...>:
    >
    >>
    >> On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:35, Alexander von Below wrote:
    >>
    >>> 3.2.6 works just fine.
    >>>
    >>> I assume the logic is, that there IS an Update for Xc 4.x, whereas there is no update for 3.x
    >>>
    >>> Next week I'll try to run Xc2 ;)
    >>>
    >>> Alex
    >>>
    >>
    >> I don't know what you say here. There was an update for 3.x, it's called 3.2.6. So are you saying that there is no update *for Lion*? Or are you saying that there *will* be no update for 3.x?
    >>
    >> The real question really is whether one *can* install 3.2.6 on Lion, using the Install Xcode.app for 3.2.6 (that many already have on disk somewhere). Before Lion came out officially some here said it couldn't, so can anyone confirm this now that the Lion is out of the cage?
    >>
    >> Christiaan
    >>
    >>> Am 21.07.2011 um 09:36 schrieb Paul Russell:
    >>>
    >>>> Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >>>>
    >>>> Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks,
    >>>>
    >>>> Paul
    >>
  • On 21 Jul 2011, at 7:18 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

    > I'd like to know what is the easiest way to keep my Xcode 3.2.6 when upgrading my computer for Lion. Does the Lion installation leave the developer folder in place, or should I first move it away to keep it, perhaps archived?

    If I were you, I'd rename the old /Developer folder. I don't know whether the official-release installer lets you choose and name the folder that receives Xcode 4.1.

    In fact, I'd be very grateful if someone would tell me.

    >> People with legacy projects depend on it.
    >
    > Also (some) developers, like me, who want their apps to be backward compatible to 10.5 or earlier.

    Apple repeatedly says that applications compiled against the 10.6 or 10.7 SDKs are backward-compatible to any earlier Mac OS X, so long as you stick to the earlier API. This is true, as far as it goes.

    However, it was always a useful trick to set the active SDK to an earlier version for a build or two, so you could be sure you weren't relying on API that wasn't available in the latest SDK. Apple people, at least publicly and on this list, have been so pointedly obtuse on the question that I wonder if they haven't been instructed not to acknowledge it. One could speculate (and it would be only speculation) on why that is.

    — F
  • Am 21.07.2011 um 15:58 schrieb Fritz Anderson:

    > On 21 Jul 2011, at 7:18 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to know what is the easiest way to keep my Xcode 3.2.6 when upgrading my computer for Lion. Does the Lion installation leave the developer folder in place, or should I first move it away to keep it, perhaps archived?
    >
    > If I were you, I'd rename the old /Developer folder

    That's what I do, and it has never failed me.

    > I don't know whether the official-release installer lets you choose and name the folder that receives Xcode 4.1. In fact, I'd be very grateful if someone would tell me.

    It does. That said, there used to be an error in that particular feature of the Xcode installer a long time ago but as you know: Once bitten, twice shy.

    >>> People with legacy projects depend on it.
    >>
    >> Also (some) developers, like me, who want their apps to be backward compatible to 10.5 or earlier.
    > ...
    > However, it was always a useful trick to set the active SDK to an earlier version for a build or two, so you could be sure you weren't relying on API that wasn't available in the latest SDK. Apple people, at least publicly and on this list, have been so pointedly obtuse on the question that I wonder if they haven't been instructed not to acknowledge it. One could speculate (and it would be only speculation) on why that is.

    Well, my point was mostly about projects that actually are not (easily) convertible to Xcode 4's way of doing things. Those are not many, but they exist.

    But to your point: I absolutely agree with your wonder. I believe that all the headers contain that information in machine readable form, why on this planet can't Xcode 4 tell me "You are using an API that is not available on your deployment target", so I can take care of that (i.e. do run-time checks or avoid using that API)

    Anyway, there are many good and valid reasons to use Xcode 3 on Lion, and I can tell you: It works just perfectly fine.

    Alex
  • On Jul 21, 2011, at 15:58, Fritz Anderson wrote:

    > On 21 Jul 2011, at 7:18 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to know what is the easiest way to keep my Xcode 3.2.6 when upgrading my computer for Lion. Does the Lion installation leave the developer folder in place, or should I first move it away to keep it, perhaps archived?
    >
    > If I were you, I'd rename the old /Developer folder. I don't know whether the official-release installer lets you choose and name the folder that receives Xcode 4.1.
    >
    > In fact, I'd be very grateful if someone would tell me.
    >
    >>> People with legacy projects depend on it.
    >>
    >> Also (some) developers, like me, who want their apps to be backward compatible to 10.5 or earlier.
    >
    > Apple repeatedly says that applications compiled against the 10.6 or 10.7 SDKs are backward-compatible to any earlier Mac OS X, so long as you stick to the earlier API. This is true, as far as it goes.

    When it's about API, that's generally true. But when it's about linking to libraries, it's often not true. For instance libcrypto has compatibility version 0.9.8 in the 10.6 SDK, but 10.5 has version 0.9.7, so it will fail to link there. What's worse, the compiler won't warn you about this. And Apple has consistently ignored, and repeated, these problems (so I don't care what Apple says when I know it's a lie...).

    >
    > However, it was always a useful trick to set the active SDK to an earlier version for a build or two, so you could be sure you weren't relying on API that wasn't available in the latest SDK.

    I agree with that, and also do that routinely. In fact, because of the problems I noted, I am still forced to use the 10.5 SDK today, that's also why I really need 2.3.6.

    And Apple not only doesn't acknowledge this, they keep saying that you should ALWAYS use the latest SDK. Tell me again why I should listen to them?

    > Apple people, at least publicly and on this list, have been so pointedly obtuse on the question that I wonder if they haven't been instructed not to acknowledge it. One could speculate (and it would be only speculation) on why that is.
    >
    > — F

    It's easier to deny a problem than work hard to fix it, I guess, especially if it's not you who has the problem. Seriously, that's the only explanation I can think of.

    Oh, and as it's possible to use 2.3.6 on Lion, can it also be used to build a PPC binary, and has anyone tried that?

    Christiaan
  • > I believe that all the headers contain that information in machine readable
    > form, why on this planet can't Xcode 4 tell me "You are using an API that
    > is not available on your deployment target", so I can take care of that (i.e.
    > do run-time checks or avoid using that API)

    I used to believe that with respect to 10.6 and 10.5. Then I had a look at the
    headers and found it didn't always seem to be true. Since most of the code I
    compile on Macs wasn't written on Macs, and has to be portable between a lot of
    operating systems, I found it very much safer to compile against the SDK headers
    for the oldest version I needed to support.

    --
    John Dallman
  • Oh, I am not disputing that! Compiling against the older SDK is the safest way.

    However, especially on iOS, it is very, very painful to make sure your App runs on iOS (Current-1). And I am wondering, why Apple is not making that easier for us.

    Alex

    Am 21.07.2011 um 17:07 schrieb Dallman, John:

    >> I believe that all the headers contain that information in machine readable
    >> form, why on this planet can't Xcode 4 tell me "You are using an API that
    >> is not available on your deployment target", so I can take care of that (i.e.
    >> do run-time checks or avoid using that API)
    >
    > I used to believe that with respect to 10.6 and 10.5. Then I had a look at the
    > headers and found it didn't always seem to be true. Since most of the code I
    > compile on Macs wasn't written on Macs, and has to be portable between a lot of
    > operating systems, I found it very much safer to compile against the SDK headers
    > for the oldest version I needed to support.
    >
    > --
    > John Dallman
    >
  • Xcode 3.2.6 won't install on Lion, I tried again yesterday because there were some other posts where I understood that maybe you can.  But you can't...

    Yes 3.2.6 runs on Lion if it was there already, but I think once you install 4.1 even into a different directory it might be affected???  And if I wanted to just move it over how would you do that?  Just drag the Developer folder over?

    I did submit an app yesterday build with 3.2.6 to the app store, but I hear sandboxing is required in November and for that we need 4.1?  So I think I'm more interested in how to take a 3.2.6 project and open it up in 4.1 and build it because now I get lots of warnings.  Especially with older projects containing BWTookit...

    On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Alexander von Below wrote:

    > Oh, I am not disputing that! Compiling against the older SDK is the safest way.
    >
    > However, especially on iOS, it is very, very painful to make sure your App runs on iOS (Current-1). And I am wondering, why Apple is not making that easier for us.
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > Am 21.07.2011 um 17:07 schrieb Dallman, John:
    >
    >>> I believe that all the headers contain that information in machine readable
    >>> form, why on this planet can't Xcode 4 tell me "You are using an API that
    >>> is not available on your deployment target", so I can take care of that (i.e.
    >>> do run-time checks or avoid using that API)
    >>
    >> I used to believe that with respect to 10.6 and 10.5. Then I had a look at the
    >> headers and found it didn't always seem to be true. Since most of the code I
    >> compile on Macs wasn't written on Macs, and has to be portable between a lot of
    >> operating systems, I found it very much safer to compile against the SDK headers
    >> for the oldest version I needed to support.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Dallman
    >>
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    > Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    > Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    > http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<rickcorteza...>
    >
    > This email sent to <rickcorteza...>
  • On Jul 21, 2011, at 6:46 PM, Rick C. wrote:

    > Yes 3.2.6 runs on Lion if it was there already, but I think once you install 4.1 even into a different directory it might be affected???  And if I wanted to just move it over how would you do that?  Just drag the Developer folder over?

    After installing Lion and before installing Xcode 4.1 I clicked
    on an open terminal window and…

    sudo mv /Developer /Developer-3.2.6

    before launching the 4.1 installer.  I'm not even sure that
    sudo was necessary, but I didn't bother checking the permissions,
    first.

    It seems to work.  I may rename Xcode.app in the 3.2.6 application
    folder to make it easier to launch.

    /\/\arc
  • > Apple repeatedly says that applications compiled against the 10.6 or 10.7 SDKs are backward-compatible to any earlier Mac OS X

    This is not necessarily the case.

    For example, applications linking against OpenSSL in the 10.6 SDK will not run on 10.5. Also, the behavior of certain classes in AppKit also subtly changes when linked against the 10.6 SDK.

    If you want to be able to reliably build on 10.6 and distribute to 10.5, 10.6 (and probably 10.7) with the same behavior on all platforms then building against the 10.5 SDK is your only option.

    Xcode 4.1's lack of support for the 10.5 SDK mean that you will most probably need to keep 3.2.6 around on Lion. This is OK if you're upgrading from Snow Leopard (just install Xcode 3 first), but this is a non-starter for developers purchasing new Macs with Lion pre-installed.

    Running Snow Leopard in a VM with Xcode 3 might be the answer, but you'll need 10.6 Server as the desktop edition license agreement doesn't permit virtualization.

    Failing that you'll have to either stay on 10.6 or keep a second Mac around with 10.6 Xcode 3.

    Apple has made this difficult enough that I suspect most developers will quickly drop support for 10.5 now that Lion is out. This is certainly what we'll be doing.

    Cheers,
    Simon

    On 21 Jul 2011, at 15:58, Fritz Anderson wrote:

    > On 21 Jul 2011, at 7:18 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to know what is the easiest way to keep my Xcode 3.2.6 when upgrading my computer for Lion. Does the Lion installation leave the developer folder in place, or should I first move it away to keep it, perhaps archived?
    >
    > If I were you, I'd rename the old /Developer folder. I don't know whether the official-release installer lets you choose and name the folder that receives Xcode 4.1.
    >
    > In fact, I'd be very grateful if someone would tell me.
    >
    >>> People with legacy projects depend on it.
    >>
    >> Also (some) developers, like me, who want their apps to be backward compatible to 10.5 or earlier.
    >
    > Apple repeatedly says that applications compiled against the 10.6 or 10.7 SDKs are backward-compatible to any earlier Mac OS X, so long as you stick to the earlier API. This is true, as far as it goes.
    >
    > However, it was always a useful trick to set the active SDK to an earlier version for a build or two, so you could be sure you weren't relying on API that wasn't available in the latest SDK. Apple people, at least publicly and on this list, have been so pointedly obtuse on the question that I wonder if they haven't been instructed not to acknowledge it. One could speculate (and it would be only speculation) on why that is.
    >
    > — F
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    > Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    > Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    > http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<sepwilson...>
    >
    > This email sent to <sepwilson...>
  • Thanks for all the responses - I found the following useful blog entry on installing Xcode 3.2.6 if Lion is already installed: >http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/7906770311/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lio
    n
    >.

    Still no way of testing PowerPC code on Lion though, sadly - will have to stick to Snow Leopard for that.

    On 21 Jul 2011, at 08:36, Paul Russell wrote:

    > Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >
    > Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >
  • About the sandboxing please read on the Developer forums.  I really don't know much about it and I've only read it there...

    As a note...I have just installed the App Store version of Xcode 4.1 and I noticed I had no options when installing about choosing directory or anything.  I also had Xcode 3 running on Lion (it was upgraded from Snow) until I think the 4.1 GM.  But now especially with this new installer where we have no control I'm not sure how much any Xcode 3 installation might get messed up???

    On Jul 22, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Paul Russell wrote:

    > Thanks for all the responses - I found the following useful blog entry on installing Xcode 3.2.6 if Lion is already installed: >http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/7906770311/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lio
    n
    >.
    >
    > Still no way of testing PowerPC code on Lion though, sadly - will have to stick to Snow Leopard for that.
    >
    > On 21 Jul 2011, at 08:36, Paul Russell wrote:
    >
    >> Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >>
    >> Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >>
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    > Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    > Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    > http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<rickcorteza...>
    >
    > This email sent to <rickcorteza...>
  • On Jul 23, 2011, at 3:39, Rick C. wrote:

    > About the sandboxing please read on the Developer forums.  I really don't know much about it and I've only read it there...
    >
    > As a note...I have just installed the App Store version of Xcode 4.1 and I noticed I had no options when installing about choosing directory or anything.  I also had Xcode 3 running on Lion (it was upgraded from Snow) until I think the 4.1 GM.  But now especially with this new installer where we have no control I'm not sure how much any Xcode 3 installation might get messed up???
    >

    At least with the previous Xcode 4.x installations, you were offered options only when you downloaded the installer from a paid account, otherwise you had no options. To be sure, I advice you to rename the 3.2.6 developer forum before running the Xcode 4.x installer. You can use "sudo mv" from the command line.

    Christiaan

    >
    >
    > On Jul 22, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Paul Russell wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for all the responses - I found the following useful blog entry on installing Xcode 3.2.6 if Lion is already installed: >http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/7906770311/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lio
    n
    >.
    >>
    >> Still no way of testing PowerPC code on Lion though, sadly - will have to stick to Snow Leopard for that.
    >>
    >> On 21 Jul 2011, at 08:36, Paul Russell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Will Xcode 3.2.6 still work if I upgrade to Lion ? For various reasons I can't upgrade to Xcode 4 for the forseeable future.
    >>>
    >>> Also are there any solutions for testing PowerPC compatibility on Lion now that Rosetta has been dropped ?
    >>>
    >>
    >> _______________________________________________
    >> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    >> Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    >> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    >> http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<rickcorteza...>
    >>
    >> This email sent to <rickcorteza...>
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
    > Xcode-users mailing list      (<Xcode-users...>)
    > Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
    > http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/xcode-users/<cmhofman...>
    >
    > This email sent to <cmhofman...>
  • Am 23.07.2011 um 03:39 schrieb Rick C.:

    > I have just installed the App Store version of Xcode 4.1 and I noticed I had no options when installing about choosing directory or anything.

    Locate the 'Xcode Install' package. Show package contents. Inside the Resources folder you will find Xcode.mpkg. Install as usual.

    Andreas
  • Since there's so much anecdotal information flying around I thought I'd repeat this:

    On 2011 Jul 05, at 13:00, David Duncan (of Apple) wrote (to xcode-users group):

    > 3.2.6 is not supported on Lion. The recommendation would be to install Xcode 4 on your Lion partition, and Xcode 3.2.6 on your Snow Leopard partition.

    That being said, primarily because of the lack of User Scripts support in Xcode 4 which I find intolerable, I'm using Xcode 3.2.5 for my daily work, and of course running Lion.  I haven't noticed any problems other than messages being logged to the system stderr on various topics, none of which appear to be very serious.

    However, to be safe, when I want to ship (as I just did), I boot into Snow Leopard to do the final build.
  • Jerry,

    How and where did you install it?

    -Laurent.
    --
    Laurent Daudelin
    AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin                 http://www.nemesys-soft.com/
    Logiciels Nemesys Software                    <laurent...>

    On Jul 23, 2011, at 10:36, Jerry Krinock wrote:

    > Since there's so much anecdotal information flying around I thought I'd repeat this:
    >
    > On 2011 Jul 05, at 13:00, David Duncan (of Apple) wrote (to xcode-users group):
    >
    >> 3.2.6 is not supported on Lion. The recommendation would be to install Xcode 4 on your Lion partition, and Xcode 3.2.6 on your Snow Leopard partition.
    >
    > That being said, primarily because of the lack of User Scripts support in Xcode 4 which I find intolerable, I'm using Xcode 3.2.5 for my daily work, and of course running Lion.  I haven't noticed any problems other than messages being logged to the system stderr on various topics, none of which appear to be very serious.
    >
    > However, to be safe, when I want to ship (as I just did), I boot into Snow Leopard to do the final build.
  • On Jul 23, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

    > Jerry,
    >
    > How and where did you install it?

    The Lion installer didn't uninstall my copy of Xcode 3.2.6 when I upgraded from Snow Leopard. I didn't install it into the /Developer folder. And I can confirm that, despite it not being officially supported, it still works under Lion. (And I still think Xcode 4 is a major regression from Xcode 3.)

    I did file a bug report asking for an updated version of Xcode 3 that will officially install under Lion. After all, they did release a version of Xcode 2 that would install under Leopard and Snow Leopard. If you would like that as well, then please join me in filing a report.

    Nick Zitzmann
    <http://www.chronosnet.com/>
  • On 2011 Jul 23, at 13:07, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

    >
    > On Jul 23, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry,
    >>
    >> How and where did you install it?
    >
    > The Lion installer didn't uninstall my copy of Xcode 3.2.6 when I upgraded from Snow Leopard.

    Nick is correct.  The easy way:

    • Upgrade to Lion on a Mac which has Xcode 3 already installed.
    • Rename /Developer to, say, /Developer3.
    • Install Xcode 4.

    > If you would like that as well, then please join me in filing a report.

    OK, I will do that.  But all I really want is my damned User Scripts back!  Oh, then there's 10.5 thing with libcrypto.  But with User Scripts, at least I could develop and debug in Xcode 4 and then do the Release build in Xcode 3.
  • > Oh, then there's 10.5 thing with libcrypto

    As far as I can tell that got fixed for the GM.
  • Le 23 juil. 2011 à 23:22, Mike Abdullah a écrit :

    >> Oh, then there's 10.5 thing with libcrypto
    >
    > As far as I can tell that got fixed for the GM.
    >

    What's got fixed, and what GM ?

    AFAIK, if you link on libcrypto from the 10.6 or 10.7 SDK (whatever Xcode version you use), you cannot run your application on 10.5.

    -- Jean-Daniel
  • Sent from my iPhone

    On Jul 23, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Jean-Daniel Dupas <devlists...> wrote:

    >
    > Le 23 juil. 2011 à 23:22, Mike Abdullah a écrit :
    >
    >>> Oh, then there's 10.5 thing with libcrypto
    >>
    >> As far as I can tell that got fixed for the GM.
    >>
    >
    > What's got fixed, and what GM ?
    >
    > AFAIK, if you link on libcrypto from the 10.6 or 10.7 SDK (whatever Xcode version you use), you cannot run your application on 10.5.
    >
    >
    > -- Jean-Daniel
    >
    >

    Jean, do you have a test project?  I would like to try it locally?

    -Conrad


  • Ah, I guess we had the opposite case. Were building against 10.5 SDK and that wouldn't run on Lion seeds. Runs on Lion GM though

    Sent from my iPad

    On 23 Jul 2011, at 10:28 PM, Jean-Daniel Dupas <devlists...> wrote:

    >
    > Le 23 juil. 2011 à 23:22, Mike Abdullah a écrit :
    >
    >>> Oh, then there's 10.5 thing with libcrypto
    >>
    >> As far as I can tell that got fixed for the GM.
    >>
    >
    > What's got fixed, and what GM ?
    >
    > AFAIK, if you link on libcrypto from the 10.6 or 10.7 SDK (whatever Xcode version you use), you cannot run your application on 10.5.
    >
    >
    > -- Jean-Daniel
    >
    >
    >
    >
  • On Jul 23, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

    > That being said, primarily because of the lack of User Scripts support in Xcode 4 which I find intolerable, I'm using Xcode 3.2.5 for my daily work, and of course running Lion.

    I converted all my user scripts to automator services. It took some time but it works well in Xcode 4.

    --Richard
  • On 2011 Jul 23, at 15:18, Richard Somers wrote:

    > I converted all my user scripts to automator services. It took some time but it works well in Xcode 4.

    The last time I looked at Services, it only allowed you to access the selected ("highlighted") text.  Is there any way to get and replace the text of an entire document?  That's important to many of my scripts.

    Jerry
  • Le 23 juil. 2011 à 23:40, Conrad Taylor a écrit :

    >
    >
    > Sent from my iPhone
    >
    > On Jul 23, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Jean-Daniel Dupas <devlists...> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Le 23 juil. 2011 à 23:22, Mike Abdullah a écrit :
    >>
    >>>> Oh, then there's 10.5 thing with libcrypto
    >>>
    >>> As far as I can tell that got fixed for the GM.
    >>>
    >>
    >> What's got fixed, and what GM ?
    >>
    >> AFAIK, if you link on libcrypto from the 10.6 or 10.7 SDK (whatever Xcode version you use), you cannot run your application on 10.5.
    >>
    >>
    >> -- Jean-Daniel
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Jean, do you have a test project?  I would like to try it locally?
    >
    > -Conrad
    >

    No need to have a test case. 10.5 don't have libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib which is the one used when you link your binary using the 10.6 or 10.7 SDK.
    Obviously, when you try to run such executable on 10.5, the applications crash with a library not found error.

    I workaround this issue by embedding a copy of the libcrypto.dylib stub from 10.5 in my project and linking to it explicitly.

    -- Jean-Daniel
  • On Jul 23, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

    > The last time I looked at Services, it only allowed you to access the selected ("highlighted") text.  Is there any way to get and replace the text of an entire document?

    I don't know.

    On Jul 23, 2011, at 4:44 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

    > Is there any way to get the position of the cursor in the document, for example, if you want to insert some text at the cursor position?

    I don't know. My scripts start with the current selection. Sorry.

    --Richard
  • On 23 juil. 2011, at 03:39, Rick C. wrote:

    As a note...I have just installed the App Store version of Xcode 4.1 and I noticed I had no options when installing about choosing directory or anything.  I also had Xcode 3 running on Lion (it was upgraded from Snow) until I think the 4.1 GM.  But now especially with this new installer where we have no control I'm not sure how much any Xcode 3 installation might get messed up???

    This new installer is pointless. Simply open it as a package. Inside it, you will find the old and familiar .mpkg file, which you can launch to restore the ability to select the destination directory.

    Jean-Denis
previous month july 2011 next month
MTWTFSS
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Go to today