changing locale

  • Is there a way to change the locale from cocoa as if i was to go into
    System Preferences and change the language then the format?

    thx

    AC
  • Not a supported way, no. We don't encourage applications to change
    system-wide settings.

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Apple Inc.
    <goldsmit...>

    On Jun 10, 2008, at 8:05 AM, Alexander Cohen wrote:

    > Is there a way to change the locale from cocoa as if i was to go
    > into System Preferences and change the language then the format?
    >
    > thx
    >
    > AC
  • Thats what i though but here is my problem, and i'm sure im not the
    only who has it. I am currently working on localizing apps for
    mulitple languages. I would like to have an easy way to set the locale
    without going into the system prefs and trying once again to guess
    which settings i need to change to get my locale to zh_CN, or zh_TW,
    KO or anything else.

    thx

    A

    On Jun 10, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:

    > Not a supported way, no. We don't encourage applications to change
    > system-wide settings.
    >
    > Deborah Goldsmith
    > Apple Inc.
    > <goldsmit...>
    >
    > On Jun 10, 2008, at 8:05 AM, Alexander Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to change the locale from cocoa as if i was to go
    >> into System Preferences and change the language then the format?
    >>
    >> thx
    >>
    >> AC
    >
    >
  • On Jun 10, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Alexander Cohen wrote:

    > Thats what i though but here is my problem, and i'm sure im not the
    > only who has it. I am currently working on localizing apps for
    > mulitple languages. I would like to have an easy way to set the
    > locale without going into the system prefs and trying once again to
    > guess which settings i need to change to get my locale to zh_CN, or
    > zh_TW, KO or anything else.

    Locale is not the same as localization.  It sounds like what you are
    interested in is localization.  If you want to launch a specific
    application instance in a specific localization, you can do so by
    specifying command-line arguments.  For example,

    /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit -AppleLanguages
    "(de)"

    will launch TextEdit in German.  You should also be able to set
    command-line arguments in Xcode.  The first argument here is -
    AppleLanguages, the name of the default.  The second is an array of
    strings, so that you could (for example) use "(de,en)" to specify a
    preference order of German first, English second.  The quotes are for
    the shell.

    Douglas Davidson
  • On Jun 10, 2008, at 8:50 PM, Douglas Davidson wrote:

    >
    > On Jun 10, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Alexander Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> Thats what i though but here is my problem, and i'm sure im not the
    >> only who has it. I am currently working on localizing apps for
    >> mulitple languages. I would like to have an easy way to set the
    >> locale without going into the system prefs and trying once again to
    >> guess which settings i need to change to get my locale to zh_CN, or
    >> zh_TW, KO or anything else.
    >
    > Locale is not the same as localization.  It sounds like what you are
    > interested in is localization.  If you want to launch a specific
    > application instance in a specific localization, you can do so by
    > specifying command-line arguments.  For example,
    >
    > /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit -AppleLanguages
    > "(de)"
    >
    > will launch TextEdit in German.  You should also be able to set
    > command-line arguments in Xcode.  The first argument here is -
    > AppleLanguages, the name of the default.  The second is an array of
    > strings, so that you could (for example) use "(de,en)" to specify a
    > preference order of German first, English second.  The quotes are
    > for the shell.

    Nice, i didnt know that. Im not sure this completely fullfills my
    needs, but it will do for now.

    thx

    AC
previous month june 2008 next month
MTWTFSS
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30            
Go to today