Help diagnosing memory problem

  • I'm using Xcode 3, OS X 10.4.1 in a GCd app, and I'm getting the
    following:

    EddyApp(48662,0xb0103000) malloc: *** resurrection error for object
    0x2c85170: auto_zone_write_barrier: {conservative-block}[32](0x14f0d10)
    [16] = _NSCFURLProtocolBridge[48](0x2c85170)
    EddyApp(48662,0xb0103000) malloc: *** auto malloc[48662]: error for
    object 0x2c85170: pointer in garbage list being stored into reachable
    memory, break on auto_zone_resurrection_error to debug

    I have a breakpoint set on auto_zone_resurrection_error:

    #0    0x924a7fe3 in auto_zone_resurrection_error
    #1    0x924a5501 in check_resurrection
    #2    0x924a5d24 in auto_zone_write_barrier
    #3    0x96bd88b7 in objc_assign_strongCast_CF
    #4    0x946afd31 in _CFArrayReplaceValues
    #5    0x91eebda3 in -[NSCFArray insertObject:atIndex:]
    #6    0x91eebd14 in -[NSCFArray addObject:]
    #7    0x91fe1f3d in -[_NSCFURLProtocolBridge sendInstruction:]
    #8    0x91f55cf0 in -[_NSCFURLProtocolBridge stop]
    #9    0x91f55ca4 in bridgeStop
    #10    0x95111044 in CFURLProtocolCancelLoad
    #11    0x91fe1da5 in -[_NSCFURLProtocolBridge finalize]
    #12    0x96bd88fe in finalizeOneObject
    #13    0x924a050b in foreach_block_do
    #14    0x96bd8ac3 in batchFinalize
    #15    0x96bd8d8a in batchFinalizeOnTwoThreads
    #16    0x924a18ce in auto_collect_internal
    #17    0x924a254f in auto_collection_thread
    #18    0x9589c075 in _pthread_start
    #19    0x9589bf32 in thread_start

    My interpretation of the message is that the finalize method of
    NSCFURLProtocolBridge is somehow causing an object which has already
    been garbage collected to be referenced again. Is that correct? What
    procedure should I follow for tracking the cause down?

    Thanks,
      Tom
  • On 04/12/2007, at 3:18 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

    > My interpretation of the message is that the finalize method of
    > NSCFURLProtocolBridge is somehow causing an object which has already
    > been garbage collected to be referenced again. Is that correct? What
    > procedure should I follow for tracking the cause down?

    I'm also getting this message in a GC app that uses a custom
    NSURLProtocol. So far I've had no luck tracking down the cause either.

    --
    Rob Keniger
  • On 04/12/2007, at 7:00 PM, Rob Keniger wrote:

    >
    > On 04/12/2007, at 3:18 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
    >
    >> My interpretation of the message is that the finalize method of
    >> NSCFURLProtocolBridge is somehow causing an object which has
    >> already been garbage collected to be referenced again. Is that
    >> correct? What procedure should I follow for tracking the cause down?
    >
    >
    > I'm also getting this message in a GC app that uses a custom
    > NSURLProtocol. So far I've had no luck tracking down the cause either.

    I can reproduce this problem with Apple's SpecialPictureProtocol
    example, just by changing the app to gc-required and clean building.

    Is that worth a bug report to Apple?

    Tom
  • Absolutely that is worth a radar!
    I've filed radars for much smaller issues :)

    Tom Davies wrote:
    >
    > On 04/12/2007, at 7:00 PM, Rob Keniger wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> On 04/12/2007, at 3:18 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
    >>
    >>> My interpretation of the message is that the finalize method of
    >>> NSCFURLProtocolBridge is somehow causing an object which has already
    >>> been garbage collected to be referenced again. Is that correct? What
    >>> procedure should I follow for tracking the cause down?
    >>
    >>
    >> I'm also getting this message in a GC app that uses a custom
    >> NSURLProtocol. So far I've had no luck tracking down the cause either.
    >
    > I can reproduce this problem with Apple's SpecialPictureProtocol
    > example, just by changing the app to gc-required and clean building.
    >
    > Is that worth a bug report to Apple?
    >
    > Tom
previous month december 2007 next month
MTWTFSS
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            
Go to today