QuickLook generators in application

  • I am trying to add QuickLook support for my application but the
    QuickLook daemon does not seem to be recognizing my generator when I
    place it in my application package. The documentation states:

    You can store a Quick Look generator in an application bundle
    (inMyApp.app/Contents/Resources/QuickLook/) or in one of the standard
    file-system locations:

    ~/Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible only to logged-
    in user
    /Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible to all users of
    the system
    /System/Library/QuickLook—Apple-provided generators, accessible to all
    users of the system

    but that does not seem to be true. If I copy my generator to ~/Library/
    QuickLook it works fine, but if I put it in my app package at the
    specified location it is not found.

    Is this an error in the docs or am I doing something wrong?

    Todd Ransom
    Return Self Software
    http://returnself.com
  • The documentation is wrong. Bug reports have already been filed, but I
    would suggest you file one as well.

    Your generator should go into MyApp.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/

    On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Todd Ransom wrote:

    > I am trying to add QuickLook support for my application but the
    > QuickLook daemon does not seem to be recognizing my generator when I
    > place it in my application package. The documentation states:
    >
    > You can store a Quick Look generator in an application bundle
    > (inMyApp.app/Contents/Resources/QuickLook/) or in one of the
    > standard file-system locations:
    >
    > ~/Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible only to
    > logged-in user
    > /Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible to all users
    > of the system
    > /System/Library/QuickLook—Apple-provided generators, accessible to
    > all users of the system
    >
    > but that does not seem to be true. If I copy my generator to ~/
    > Library/QuickLook it works fine, but if I put it in my app package
    > at the specified location it is not found.
    >
    > Is this an error in the docs or am I doing something wrong?
  • This is the observed behavior for us, as well (i.e.: doesn't work in
    app bundle)

    On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Todd Ransom wrote:

    > I am trying to add QuickLook support for my application but the
    > QuickLook daemon does not seem to be recognizing my generator when I
    > place it in my application package. The documentation states:
    >
    > You can store a Quick Look generator in an application bundle
    > (inMyApp.app/Contents/Resources/QuickLook/) or in one of the
    > standard file-system locations:
    >
    > ~/Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible only to
    > logged-in user
    > /Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible to all users
    > of the system
    > /System/Library/QuickLook—Apple-provided generators, accessible to
    > all users of the system
    >
    > but that does not seem to be true. If I copy my generator to ~/
    > Library/QuickLook it works fine, but if I put it in my app package
    > at the specified location it is not found.
    >
    > Is this an error in the docs or am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Todd Ransom
    > Return Self Software
    > http://returnself.com
  • Thanks Eric, that did the trick. I will go file a bug.

    Todd Ransom
    Return Self Software
    http://returnself.com

    On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:

    > The documentation is wrong. Bug reports have already been filed, but
    > I would suggest you file one as well.
    >
    > Your generator should go into MyApp.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/
    >
    >
    > On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Todd Ransom wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to add QuickLook support for my application but the
    >> QuickLook daemon does not seem to be recognizing my generator when
    >> I place it in my application package. The documentation states:
    >>
    >> You can store a Quick Look generator in an application bundle
    >> (inMyApp.app/Contents/Resources/QuickLook/) or in one of the
    >> standard file-system locations:
    >>
    >> ~/Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible only to
    >> logged-in user
    >> /Library/QuickLook—third party generators, accessible to all users
    >> of the system
    >> /System/Library/QuickLook—Apple-provided generators, accessible to
    >> all users of the system
    >>
    >> but that does not seem to be true. If I copy my generator to ~/
    >> Library/QuickLook it works fine, but if I put it in my app package
    >> at the specified location it is not found.
    >>
    >> Is this an error in the docs or am I doing something wrong?
    >
    >
  • You're welcome.

    p.s. There is a quicklook-dev mailing list...

    On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Todd Ransom wrote:

    > Thanks Eric, that did the trick. I will go file a bug.
    >
    > Todd Ransom
    > Return Self Software
    > http://returnself.com
    >
    >
    >
    > On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:
    >
    >> The documentation is wrong. Bug reports have already been filed,
    >> but =20=
    >
    >> I would suggest you file one as well.
    >>
    >> Your generator should go into MyApp.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/
    >>
    >>
    >> On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Todd Ransom wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to add QuickLook support for my application but the =20
    >>> QuickLook daemon does not seem to be recognizing my generator when
    >>> =20=
    >
    >>> I place it in my application package. The documentation states:
    >>>
    >>> You can store a Quick Look generator in an application bundle =20
    >>> (inMyApp.app/Contents/Resources/QuickLook/) or in one of the =20
    >>> standard file-system locations:
    >>>
    >>> ~/Library/QuickLook=97third party generators, accessible only to =20
    >>> logged-in user
    >>> /Library/QuickLook=97third party generators, accessible to all
    >>> users =20=
    >
    >>> of the system
    >>> /System/Library/QuickLook=97Apple-provided generators, accessible
    >>> to =20=
    >
    >>> all users of the system
    >>>
    >>> but that does not seem to be true. If I copy my generator to ~/=20
    >>> Library/QuickLook it works fine, but if I put it in my app package
    >>> =20=
    >
    >>> at the specified location it is not found.
    >>>
    >>> Is this an error in the docs or am I doing something wrong?
    >>
    >>
    >
  • Also be careful as there is a bug where two copies of the same Quick look
    plug-in will cause it to fail to load. One in your debug version and one in
    your release version for example.

    - Conor
previous month november 2007 next month
MTWTFSS
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    
Go to today