Uninstaller for Mac OSX Application

  • Hi All,
          I'm new to installer / uninstaller stuff in Mac OS X. I'm doing a port
    of Windows application to Mac.My Application has kext , mac application and
    some files in /opt folder.

        I've managed to create an installer using Package Maker in Mac OS X
    Tiger. But couldn't find any application which creates Uninstaller for my
    application.

        I've googled for it , many blogs say that there is no Uninstaller in
    Mac till now. Is it True ?

        My application installer should have an UI which should be similar to
    installer and delete the required files in background.

        Can any one provider some pointers for creating uninstaller for my
    application.

          Are there any third party freeware/sharewares uninstaller applications
    available in Mac OS X.

        Please help me to solve this. Thanks in Advance.

    -JanakiRam.
  • Unless you are installing something at the system level, you should
    not be using an installer at all.

    And yes, there is no uninstaller for I'd X because you should not be
    using an installer.

    Marcus S. Zarra
    Zarra Studios LLC
    www.zarrastudios.com

    On Oct 5, 2007, at 12:53 PM, JanakiRam <johnyatforums...> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I'm new to installer / uninstaller stuff in Mac OS X. I'm doing
    > a port
    > of Windows application to Mac.My Application has kext , mac
    > application and
    > some files in /opt folder.
    >
    > I've managed to create an installer using Package Maker in Mac
    > OS X
    > Tiger. But couldn't find any application which creates Uninstaller
    > for my
    > application.
    >
    > I've googled for it , many blogs say that there is no
    > Uninstaller in
    > Mac till now. Is it True ?
    >
    >
    > My application installer should have an UI which should be
    > similar to
    > installer and delete the required files in background.
    >
    > Can any one provider some pointers for creating uninstaller for my
    > application.
    >
    > Are there any third party freeware/sharewares uninstaller
    > applications
    > available in Mac OS X.
    >
    > Please help me to solve this. Thanks in Advance.
    >
    > -JanakiRam.
    > _______________________________________________
    > MacOSX-dev mailing list
    > <MacOSX-dev...>
    > http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-dev
  • > On Oct 5, 2007, at 12:53 PM, JanakiRam <johnyatforums...> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >> I'm new to installer / uninstaller stuff in Mac OS X. I'm doing a port
    >> of Windows application to Mac.My Application has kext , mac
    >> application and some files in /opt folder.

    Please be careful about putting things in /opt/.  Anyone who uses
    MacPorts is likely to have a lot there already, so make sure you're
    not clobbering existing software.

    >> I've googled for it , many blogs say that there is no Uninstaller in
    >> Mac till now. Is it True ?

    That's true.  You can either roll your own or look at third party
    solutions like FileStorm, which can create both installers and
    uninstallers.

    On 10/5/07, Marcus S. Zarra <mzarra...> wrote:
    > Unless you are installing something at the system level, you should
    > not be using an installer at all.

    Installing kexts is probably one of the cases where it's justified,
    being as they have specific needs regarding where they're installed
    and how they're loaded.

    --
    Tom Harrington
    <atomicbird...>
    AIM: atomicbird1
  • On Oct 5, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Tom Harrington wrote:

    >
    > Installing kexts is probably one of the cases where it's justified,
    > being as they have specific needs regarding where they're installed
    > and how they're loaded.

    I have not done this and am not a whiz but wouldn't a simple
    applescript or something that can trigger a shellscript be enough to
    unload and get rid of the kext?

    Chad
  • I agree with others' comments, that whenever possible, avoid using an
    installer.  However, there are cases when an application needs to
    place a number of items in a variety of locations, and requiring the
    user to manually move each of the files to their required spot seems
    like unnecessary work, and this is a good situation where an
    installer is useful.

    But it definitely does seem like a glaring hole that an uninstaller
    wasn't also included.  Is it possible to use Apple's installer
    program to create a script which will just uninstall the application?

    From what I've read, it appears that an uninstaller can look in the
    Receipts folder and read the list of files that were installed for a
    particular application, and then use that list of files to search out
    the files to erase.  Has anyone tried this?

    Otherwise, installing applications that don't also include an
    uninstaller makes me suspicious and weary.

    Regards,

    Chad
  • Am 08.10.2007 um 00:19 schrieb Chad Armstrong:

    > But it definitely does seem like a glaring hole that an uninstaller
    > wasn't also included.

    ... especially, as all the prerequisites are there already.

    > Is it possible to use Apple's installer program to create a script
    > which will just uninstall the application?

    Get started with

      lsbom -s -f /Library/Receipts/MyPackage.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom
      lsbom -d /Library/Receipts/MyPackage.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom

    Another approach is to create an update installer which upgrades to
    zero files and removes it's self in the postinstall script. I've seen
    it with one of the ghostscript packages (at linuxprinting.org?).

    > Otherwise, installing applications that don't also include an
    > uninstaller makes me suspicious and weary.

    Just yesterday I removed some 20 GB of automatically downloaded
    upgraders and installers which filled up about 50% of the main hard
    drive. All belonging to software of three big manufacturers.

    Obviously, your company is small enough to take better care of such
    details. Congratulations.

    Markus

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
    http://www.jump-ing.de/
previous month october 2007 next month
MTWTFSS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        
Go to today