Best time to buy a new iMac

  • I've been waiting for a number of months to get a new iMac. Optimally, I wanted to save the most money by waiting for the latest model, plus getting iLife '08 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.

    However, I'm caught in a small bind. Since I do development work, I try to have a variety of test systems, dating as far back as Mac OS 10.1. I have Mac OS 10.4 on a PowerPC Mac, but not an Intel Mac yet. Unfortunately, the retail copies of Mac OS 10.4 are only available for PowerPC Macs, and not for Intel-based Macs, since all of the Intel-based Macs have come out during the Tiger timeframe.

    Would it be a good idea to get a new iMac (preloaded with Tiger) right now and then get Leopard when it comes out (and create a dual-boot), or is there so little difference between the PPC and Intel versions of Tiger that I shouldn't worry too much?

    At this point, I haven't noticed any real problems occurring from the Intel/UB versions of my applications, but I don't want to be caught by unexpected surprises and not having a proper test platform for both Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 on Intel.

    Regards,

    Chad
  • On 11 Sep 2007, at 08:08, Chad Armstrong wrote:

    > At this point, I haven't noticed any real problems occurring from
    > the Intel/UB versions of my applications,

    Wow, I'm amazed you can ship a Universal Binary without testing on
    Intel.

    As you know, any machine you buy now will be "obsolete" in a matter
    of months. As a consumer, I can see waiting until a machine with
    Leopard pre-loaded (since you save $100 or whatever it is), but as a
    developer, you're probably getting Leopard as part of a developer
    program. So getting an Intel machine is likely the most important thing.

    David Dunham  Macintosh Game Developer
    GameHouse Studios    +1 206 926 5722    www.gamehouse.com
        "They said it couldn't be done but sometimes it doesn't
          work out that way." -- Casey Stengel
  • On 9/11/07, David Dunham <dunham...> wrote:
    > On 11 Sep 2007, at 08:08, Chad Armstrong wrote:
    >
    >> At this point, I haven't noticed any real problems occurring from
    >> the Intel/UB versions of my applications,
    >
    > Wow, I'm amazed you can ship a Universal Binary without testing on
    > Intel.
    >
    > As you know, any machine you buy now will be "obsolete" in a matter
    > of months. As a consumer, I can see waiting until a machine with
    > Leopard pre-loaded (since you save $100 or whatever it is), but as a
    > developer, you're probably getting Leopard as part of a developer
    > program. So getting an Intel machine is likely the most important thing.

    Also if he has ADC membership he should already be getting Mac OS X
    10.4 install discs that support Intel.

    -Shawn
previous month september 2007 next month
MTWTFSS
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Go to today