Owner/Group changes depending on which volume you're booted from?

  • I just viewed the same group of files from the same ext. firewire drive on
    the same machine, but booted from two different drives, and two different
    OS's.

    These files are at the root of Drive A, which contains neither of the boot
    volumes.

    The first time I viewed Drive A from a 10.3.7 boot volume. This is how it
    looked:

    drwxrwxrwx  8 jeffrey  admin        272  7 Oct  2004 Act 2a Project
    drwxrwxrwx  7 jeffrey  admin        238 12 Sep  2004 Act 2c Project
    drwxrwxrwx  4 jeffrey  admin        136  6 May  2005 Andrew - King of the
    Wo Project
    drwxrwxr-x  45 root    admin        1530 29 May  2002 Applications

    Next, I booted from a 10.4.8 volume. Again, these are the same files from
    Drive A.

    drwxrwxrwx    8 jeffrey  jeffrey      272 Oct  7  2004 Act 2a Project
    drwxrwxrwx    7 jeffrey  jeffrey      238 Sep 12  2004 Act 2c Project
    drwxrwxrwx    4 jeffrey  jeffrey      136 May  6  2005 Andrew - King of the
    Wo Project
    drwxrwxr-x  45 jeffrey  jeffrey      1530 May 29  2002 Applications

    Can someone explain this to me?

    More, when I tried using cp to copy these files to the root of the 10.4.8
    volume, they came up as:

    drwxrwxrwx    8 unknown  unknown  -    272 Oct  7  2004 Act 2a Project
    drwxrwxrwx    7 unknown  unknown  -    238 Sep 12  2004 Act 2c Project
    drwxrwxrwx    4 unknown  unknown  -    136 May  6  2005 Andrew - King of
    the Wo Project
    drwxrwxr-x  45 unknown  unknown  -    1530 May 29  2002 Applications

    All My Best,
    Jeffrey
  • On 29-Oct-06, at 4:30 PM, Jeffrey Ellis wrote:

    > The first time I viewed Drive A from a 10.3.7 boot volume. This is
    > how it
    > looked:
    >
    > drwxrwxrwx  8 jeffrey  admin        272  7 Oct  2004 Act 2a Project
    > drwxrwxrwx  7 jeffrey  admin        238 12 Sep  2004 Act 2c Project
    > drwxrwxrwx  4 jeffrey  admin        136  6 May  2005 Andrew -
    > King of the
    > Wo Project
    > drwxrwxr-x  45 root    admin        1530 29 May  2002 Applications
    >
    > Next, I booted from a 10.4.8 volume. Again, these are the same
    > files from
    > Drive A.
    >
    > drwxrwxrwx    8 jeffrey  jeffrey      272 Oct  7  2004 Act 2a Project
    > drwxrwxrwx    7 jeffrey  jeffrey      238 Sep 12  2004 Act 2c Project
    > drwxrwxrwx    4 jeffrey  jeffrey      136 May  6  2005 Andrew -
    > King of the
    > Wo Project
    > drwxrwxr-x  45 jeffrey  jeffrey      1530 May 29  2002 Applications
    >
    > Can someone explain this to me?

    The filesystem stores the numerical user-id, not the name. So there
    is a lookup to find the name that corresponds to the numerical user-
    id. That lookup uses the user account info of the system that you are
    booted on.
    Try using the "-n" option to 'ls' to see the numerical user-id's.

    --
    Cameron Hayne
    <hayne...>
  • On 30/10/2006, at 9:08 AM, Cameron Hayne wrote:

    > On 29-Oct-06, at 4:30 PM, Jeffrey Ellis wrote:
    >
    >> The first time I viewed Drive A from a 10.3.7 boot volume. This is
    >> how it
    >> looked:
    >>
    >> drwxrwxrwx  8 jeffrey  admin        272  7 Oct  2004 Act 2a Project
    >> drwxrwxrwx  7 jeffrey  admin        238 12 Sep  2004 Act 2c Project
    >> drwxrwxrwx  4 jeffrey  admin        136  6 May  2005 Andrew -
    >> King of the
    >> Wo Project
    >> drwxrwxr-x  45 root    admin        1530 29 May  2002 Applications
    >>
    >> Next, I booted from a 10.4.8 volume. Again, these are the same
    >> files from
    >> Drive A.
    >>
    >> drwxrwxrwx    8 jeffrey  jeffrey      272 Oct  7  2004 Act 2a
    >> Project
    >> drwxrwxrwx    7 jeffrey  jeffrey      238 Sep 12  2004 Act 2c
    >> Project
    >> drwxrwxrwx    4 jeffrey  jeffrey      136 May  6  2005 Andrew -
    >> King of the
    >> Wo Project
    >> drwxrwxr-x  45 jeffrey  jeffrey      1530 May 29  2002 Applications
    >>
    >> Can someone explain this to me?
    >
    > The filesystem stores the numerical user-id, not the name. So there
    > is a lookup to find the name that corresponds to the numerical user-
    > id. That lookup uses the user account info of the system that you
    > are booted on.
    > Try using the "-n" option to 'ls' to see the numerical user-id's.

    Whilst this is true, I suspect this is actually because you'll have
    ignore ownership selected (bring up the Info window for the volume in
    Finder) whilst on the 10.4.8 volume, but not whilst on the 10.3.7
    volume.

    Anyway, this isn't anything to do with Cocoa so it's probably best
    taken to another list.
  • on 10/29/06 4:59 PM, Chris Suter at <chris...> wrote:

    >
    > On 30/10/2006, at 9:08 AM, Cameron Hayne wrote:
    >
    >> On 29-Oct-06, at 4:30 PM, Jeffrey Ellis wrote:
    >>
    >>> The first time I viewed Drive A from a 10.3.7 boot volume. This is
    >>> how it
    >>> looked:
    >>>
    >>> drwxrwxrwx  8 jeffrey  admin        272  7 Oct  2004 Act 2a Project
    >>> drwxrwxrwx  7 jeffrey  admin        238 12 Sep  2004 Act 2c Project
    >>> drwxrwxrwx  4 jeffrey  admin        136  6 May  2005 Andrew -
    >>> King of the
    >>> Wo Project
    >>> drwxrwxr-x  45 root    admin        1530 29 May  2002 Applications
    >>>
    >>> Next, I booted from a 10.4.8 volume. Again, these are the same
    >>> files from
    >>> Drive A.
    >>>
    >>> drwxrwxrwx    8 jeffrey  jeffrey      272 Oct  7  2004 Act 2a
    >>> Project
    >>> drwxrwxrwx    7 jeffrey  jeffrey      238 Sep 12  2004 Act 2c
    >>> Project
    >>> drwxrwxrwx    4 jeffrey  jeffrey      136 May  6  2005 Andrew -
    >>> King of the
    >>> Wo Project
    >>> drwxrwxr-x  45 jeffrey  jeffrey      1530 May 29  2002 Applications
    >>>
    >>> Can someone explain this to me?
    >>
    >> The filesystem stores the numerical user-id, not the name. So there
    >> is a lookup to find the name that corresponds to the numerical user-
    >> id. That lookup uses the user account info of the system that you
    >> are booted on.
    >> Try using the "-n" option to 'ls' to see the numerical user-id's.
    >
    > Whilst this is true, I suspect this is actually because you'll have
    > ignore ownership selected (bring up the Info window for the volume in
    > Finder) whilst on the 10.4.8 volume, but not whilst on the 10.3.7
    > volume.

    Right, of course. Thank you.

    >
    > Anyway, this isn't anything to do with Cocoa so it's probably best
    > taken to another list.
    >

    Done.

    All My Best,
    Jeffrey
previous month october 2006 next month
MTWTFSS
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          
Go to today