Cocoa data modeling?

  • Hello.  I've recently purchased my first Mac, and now that I have OS
    10.3 on it, am ready to start some Cocoa programming.

    What are some good ideas for data modeling?  I see that WebObjects has
    EDO; I believe I've read that these can be used with Coco, but I'm not
    sure what would be involved.  Mixing Cocoa and Java doesn't sound like
    a good solution.

    I see also where GBorg has a pgsql-coca interface.  Anyone have any
    experience with it?

    Other options?

    Thanks!
  • > What are some good ideas for data modeling?  I see that WebObjects has
    > EDO;

    EOF (Enterprise Objects Framework), not EDO (Enterprise Data Objects),
    which is a different beast altogether.

    Karl

    --

    We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with
    nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke
    and the presumption that once our eyes watered.

    Homepage:
          http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/index.html
  • I appreciate the correction, but you did not explain the distinction.
    Would you?

    Thanks.

    On Oct 26, 2003, at 12:30 AM, Hsu wrote:

    >> What are some good ideas for data modeling?  I see that WebObjects
    >> has EDO;
    >
    > EOF (Enterprise Objects Framework), not EDO (Enterprise Data Objects),
    > which is a different beast altogether.
    >
    > Karl
  • EOF is an apple proprietory technology which deals with object graph
    management and persistance. It is currently in Java, and sold as part
    of WebObjects.

    EDO is a Java Spec which deals with object and persistance. Possibly
    object management as well (but possibly not). I don't know if the spec
    is final, nor if anyone actually implements it.

    Karl

    On Oct 26, 2003, at 9:04 AM, T Reaves wrote:

    > I appreciate the correction, but you did not explain the distinction.
    > Would you?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > On Oct 26, 2003, at 12:30 AM, Hsu wrote:
    >
    >>> What are some good ideas for data modeling?  I see that WebObjects
    >>> has EDO;
    >>
    >> EOF (Enterprise Objects Framework), not EDO (Enterprise Data
    >> Objects), which is a different beast altogether.
    >>
    >> Karl
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > MacOSX-dev mailing list
    > <MacOSX-dev...>
    > http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-dev
    >
    >
    --

    We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with
    nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke
    and the presumption that once our eyes watered.

    Homepage:
          http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/index.html
  • On Oct 27, 2003, at 01:23, Hsu wrote:

    > EOF is an apple proprietory technology which deals with object graph
    > management and persistance. It is currently in Java, and sold as part
    > of WebObjects.

    Well... this is perhaps the official party line:

    http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/graphics/book_ppcover2_full.gif

    But... is there any chance to see an Objective-C version of EOF
    emerging back from the shadows of PrivateFrameworks?

    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOAccess.framework:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOControl.framework:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOInterface.framework:

    Or are we curse to hack it by ourselves:

    http://lists.apple.com/mhonarc/cocoa-dev/msg10657.html

    Cheers,

    PA.
  • On Oct 27, 2003, at 4:22 AM, petite_abeille wrote:

    > But... is there any chance to see an Objective-C version of EOF
    > emerging back from the shadows of PrivateFrameworks?
    >
    > /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOAccess.framework:
    > /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOControl.framework:
    > /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOInterface.framework:

    So, you made these up, right? :)  Or you're looking at a machine with
    WO installed?

        - Scott

    --
    Tree House Ideas
    http://treehouseideas.com/
  • It's from WO Developer - EOModeler uses them.

    Karl

    On Oct 29, 2003, at 6:12 PM, Scott Stevenson wrote:

    >
    > On Oct 27, 2003, at 4:22 AM, petite_abeille wrote:
    >
    >> But... is there any chance to see an Objective-C version of EOF
    >> emerging back from the shadows of PrivateFrameworks?
    >>
    >> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOAccess.framework:
    >> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOControl.framework:
    >> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EOInterface.framework:
    >
    > So, you made these up, right? :)  Or you're looking at a machine with
    > WO installed?
    >
    > - Scott
    >
    > --
    > Tree House Ideas
    > http://treehouseideas.com/
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > MacOSX-dev mailing list
    > <MacOSX-dev...>
    > http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-dev
    >
    >
    --

    Q: WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW WE GOT FROM GOD TO STRIP BOWLING???
    A: Well, we were talking about God, and his Love for everyone being
    equal.
    It's pretty simple to go from that concept to the concept that God loves
    everything equally as well (actually, that might be why abandoned ideas
    tend to resurface periodically - God is paying attention, even if no one
    else is). Sports have got to fall into that category, and so if anyone
    anywhere has ever played strip bowling, the idea is a permanent part of
    our
    consciousness (our gestalt). Be honored that you have been chosen for
    this
    monumental task.

    Homepage:
          http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/index.html
previous month october 2003 next month
MTWTFSS
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Go to today