XML programming in Objective-C

  • Hi,

    I've searched Google for XML parsers with ObjC wrappers (most notably
    expat) but it's unclear what the status of the various options are and
    what people would recommend. I have fairly simple needs at this point:
    DOM, SAX, and XPath mostly. I see that someone has packaged libxml as a
    framework, is that an option that people here have been using and recommend?

    Thanks for any input,

    --
    Robin Berjon
  • On Sep 23, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

    > I've searched Google for XML parsers with ObjC wrappers (most notably
    > expat) but it's unclear what the status of the various options are and
    > what people would recommend. I have fairly simple needs at this point:
    > DOM, SAX, and XPath mostly. I see that someone has packaged libxml as
    > a framework, is that an option that people here have been using and
    > recommend?

    I'm wondering exactly what you need in an XML parser. Panther includes
    NSXMLParser, which I've used successfully for a number of projects.
    It's basically a SAX model. If you're just consuming XML (as opposed to
    transcoding or transforming it), NSXMLParser might be adequate.

    -- Bruce

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bruce Toback      (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
    OPT, Inc.          (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
    11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142    | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
    Phoenix AZ 85028                | It gives a lovely light.
    <btoback...>                |    -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • Bruce Toback wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
    >> I've searched Google for XML parsers with ObjC wrappers (most notably
    >> expat) but it's unclear what the status of the various options are and
    >> what people would recommend. I have fairly simple needs at this point:
    >> DOM, SAX, and XPath mostly. I see that someone has packaged libxml as
    >> a framework, is that an option that people here have been using and
    >> recommend?
    >
    > I'm wondering exactly what you need in an XML parser. Panther includes
    > NSXMLParser, which I've used successfully for a number of projects. It's
    > basically a SAX model. If you're just consuming XML (as opposed to
    > transcoding or transforming it), NSXMLParser might be adequate.

    I have yet to play with it but it looks fine for SAXish processing
    (which represents a subset of what I need), but DOM and XPath support
    would be very helpful as well (and I'd rather avoid having to implement
    them myself). SAX is good at a number of XML-consumption tasks, but not
    all. I hear Tiger improves support but I can't wait.

    --
    Robin Berjon
  • On Sep 23, 2004, at 21:07, Robin Berjon wrote:
    > I have yet to play with it but it looks fine for SAXish processing
    > (which represents a subset of what I need), but DOM and XPath support
    > would be very helpful as well (and I'd rather avoid having to
    > implement them myself). SAX is good at a number of XML-consumption
    > tasks, but not all. I hear Tiger improves support but I can't wait.

    The sope-xml package has a DOM implementation and a query language
    somewhat similiar (but not identical to XPath):
      http://sope.opengroupware.org/en/sope_xml/index.html

    Greets,
      Helge
    --
    http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/
    OpenGroupware.org
  • Iconara DOM is a pure Objective-C DOM framework, including the expat
    parser and basic XPath-support. http://iconaradom.sf.net.

    yours
    Theo#

    > Bruce Toback wrote:
    >> On Sep 23, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
    >>> I've searched Google for XML parsers with ObjC wrappers (most
    >>> notably expat) but it's unclear what the status of the various
    >>> options are and what people would recommend. I have fairly simple
    >>> needs at this point: DOM, SAX, and XPath mostly. I see that someone
    >>> has packaged libxml as a framework, is that an option that people
    >>> here have been using and recommend?
    >> I'm wondering exactly what you need in an XML parser. Panther
    >> includes NSXMLParser, which I've used successfully for a number of
    >> projects. It's basically a SAX model. If you're just consuming XML
    >> (as opposed to transcoding or transforming it), NSXMLParser might be
    >> adequate.
    >
    > I have yet to play with it but it looks fine for SAXish processing
    > (which represents a subset of what I need), but DOM and XPath support
    > would be very helpful as well (and I'd rather avoid having to
    > implement them myself). SAX is good at a number of XML-consumption
    > tasks, but not all. I hear Tiger improves support but I can't wait.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Berjon
    > _______________________________________________
    > MacOSX-dev mailing list
    > <MacOSX-dev...>
    > http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-dev
    >
previous month september 2004 next month
MTWTFSS
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      
Go to today