International Languages List?

  • When Localizing our application from English to various other
    countries, it would be really helpful to have a list of the Language
    the Macintosh supports, both the name that appears in the International
    System Preference, as well as the name the nib files and text files
    need to be localized to.

    For example, for a Spanish localization, a folder in the bundle is
    created with the Spanish.lproj name. Project builder shows the nib
    files with a Spanish version. However, the International System
    Preference, you set Languages to "Espaqol" (Spanish world for Spanish).

    For me, the problem is the lesser common European languages, and the
    Asian languages, which seem to have no connection between the name in
    the System Preference and the name of the nib folders. Being barely
    literate in English, it gets difficult for languages I do no know (ex.
    Nederlands is Dutch, Dansk is Danish)!

    HELP!

    Is there a Master list? I can not find it at the Developer web site. I
    had hoped Project Builder & Interface Builder would help, but they only
    know a couple languages (as default settings). I need the information
    for the Catalan and Japanese languages in near future, but think the
    master list for all language settings is needed.

    Thanks!

    Steve Sheets
    Midnight Mage Software
    _______________________________________________
    cocoa-dev mailing list | <cocoa-dev...>
    Help/Unsubscribe/Archives: http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/cocoa-dev
    Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
  • Hi Steve.

    I don't know about a master list but I know Apple maintains a list of
    glossaries in the localization section of the apple site. I'd say check
    the languages included and you'll have a fairly good idea of what could
    be the "master list" from the point of view of Apple.

    JC

    On 23 avr. 04, at 01:54, Steve Sheets wrote:

    > Is there a Master list? I can not find it at the Developer web site. I
    > had hoped Project Builder & Interface Builder would help, but they
    > only know a couple languages (as default settings). I need the
    > information for the Catalan and Japanese languages in near future, but
    > think the master list for all language settings is needed.
    _______________________________________________
    cocoa-dev mailing list | <cocoa-dev...>
    Help/Unsubscribe/Archives: http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/cocoa-dev
    Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
  • Language names for .lproj folders are expressed either with the English
    name of the language, or using an ISO notation. For example,
    English.lproj can also be written en.lproj, but also en_EN.lproj (for
    Great Britain) and en_US.lproj (for USA). You can specifiy variants.
    All this is standardized at the ISO level (don't remember the exact ISO
    #) and the abbreviated codes can be access using the Locale manager.

    Florent.

    On 22 avr. 04, at 18:54, Steve Sheets wrote:

    > For example, for a Spanish localization, a folder in the bundle is
    > created with the Spanish.lproj name. Project builder shows the nib
    > files with a Spanish version. However, the International System
    > Preference, you set Languages to "Espaqol" (Spanish world for
    > Spanish).
    >
    > For me, the problem is the lesser common European languages, and the
    > Asian languages, which seem to have no connection between the name in
    > the System Preference and the name of the nib folders. Being barely
    > literate in English, it gets difficult for languages I do no know (ex.
    > Nederlands is Dutch, Dansk is Danish)!
    >
    --
    Florent Pillet, Code Segment      <florent.pillet...>
    Developer tools and end-user products for Palm OS & Mac OS X
    ICQ: 117292463              http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fpillet
    _______________________________________________
    cocoa-dev mailing list | <cocoa-dev...>
    Help/Unsubscribe/Archives: http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/cocoa-dev
    Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
  • On Apr 22, 2004, at 9:54 AM, Steve Sheets wrote:

    > When Localizing our application from English to various other
    > countries, it would be really helpful to have a list of the Language
    > the Macintosh supports, both the name that appears in the
    > International System Preference, as well as the name the nib files and
    > text files need to be localized to.
    > For example, for a Spanish localization, a folder in the bundle is
    > created with the Spanish.lproj name. Project builder shows the nib
    > files with a Spanish version. However, the International System
    > Preference, you set Languages to "Espaqol" (Spanish world for
    > Spanish).
    > For me, the problem is the lesser common European languages, and the
    > Asian languages, which seem to have no connection between the name in
    > the System Preference and the name of the nib folders. Being barely
    > literate in English, it gets difficult for languages I do no know (ex.
    > Nederlands is Dutch, Dansk is Danish)!
    >
    lproj names such as "English" and "Spanish" are supported for backwards
    compatibility.  You should instead use a "two-letter language
    abbreviation conforming to the ISO 639-1 standard (for example, en)"
    -- see
    <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
    BPInternational/Concepts/LanguageDesignations.html
    > -- for language
    names, and append a region designator as and when appropriate.  I hope
    this will address the main issue.

    mmalc
    _______________________________________________
    cocoa-dev mailing list | <cocoa-dev...>
    Help/Unsubscribe/Archives: http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/cocoa-dev
    Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
  • On Apr 22, 2004, at 9:54 AM, Steve Sheets wrote:

    > When Localizing our application from English to various other
    > countries, it would be really helpful to have a list of the Language
    > the Macintosh supports, both the name that appears in the
    > International System Preference, as well as the name the nib files and
    > text files need to be localized to.
    >
    > For example, for a Spanish localization, a folder in the bundle is
    > created with the Spanish.lproj name. Project builder shows the nib
    > files with a Spanish version. However, the International System
    > Preference, you set Languages to "Espaqol" (Spanish world for
    > Spanish).
    >
    > For me, the problem is the lesser common European languages, and the
    > Asian languages, which seem to have no connection between the name in
    > the System Preference and the name of the nib folders. Being barely
    > literate in English, it gets difficult for languages I do no know (ex.
    > Nederlands is Dutch, Dansk is Danish)!
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > Is there a Master list? I can not find it at the Developer web site. I
    > had hoped Project Builder & Interface Builder would help, but they
    > only know a couple languages (as default settings). I need the
    > information for the Catalan and Japanese languages in near future, but
    > think the master list for all language settings is needed.

    Mac OS X currently ships with the following localizations:

    Danish                        Dansk                  da
    da.lproj
    Dutch                        Nederlands            nl
    Dutch.lproj
    English                      English                en
    English.lproj
    Finnish                      Suomi                  fi
    fi.lproj
    French                        FranC'ais              fr
    French.lproj
    German                        Deutsch                de
    German.lproj
    Italian                      Italiano              it
    Italian.lproj
    Japanese                      f%f,h*                  ja
    Japanese.lproj
    Korean                        mj8                    ko
    ko.lproj
    Norwegian                    Norsk                  no
    no.lproj
    Portuguese                    PortuguC*s              pt
    pt.lproj
    Simplified Chinese            g.d=d8-f                zh_CN
    zh_CN.lproj
    Spanish                      EspaC1ol                es
    Spanish.lproj
    Swedish                      Svenska                sv
    sv.lproj
    Traditional Chinese          g9i+d8-f                zh_TW
    zh_TW.lproj

    In each case the first column is an English name for the localization,
    the second is a localized name for the localization, the third is the
    standard abbreviation for the localization, and the fourth is the
    .lproj name you will find on the system.

    For historical reasons the .lproj names used are a mixture of English
    language names and standard abbreviations.  Our recommendation
    generally is that the standard abbreviations be used, and the system
    will recognize e.g. de.lproj as equivalent to German.lproj.

    This is merely a list of localizations that ship with the system; there
    are hundreds of other possibilities.  The abbreviations take on a
    standard form described in
    <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
    BPInternational/Concepts/LanguageDesignations.html
    >.  The ISO language
    codes are described in many places; here is a handy table:
    <http://www.geo-guide.de/info/tools/languagecode.html>.  Remember that
    you may localize your application into any of these localizations, but
    resources from the system frameworks will be available only in the
    localizations that ship with the system.

    Douglas Davidson
    _______________________________________________
    cocoa-dev mailing list | <cocoa-dev...>
    Help/Unsubscribe/Archives: http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/cocoa-dev
    Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
previous month april 2004 next month
MTWTFSS
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    
Go to today